The long awaited trip (months in the planning) was disrupted for James by a chemistry lab that just happened to fall on the Saturday that we were going to be in St. Louis. So, I braved the trip without my eternal companion.
The road to St. Louis was not a stress-free journey. The boys were too excited to see everybody and thus -- no napping. The baby was more eager to nurse than usual and refused to burp during feedings. He'd wake periodically and scream for awhile, until I'd pull over and finally get a burp out of him.
The highlight of the trip was the stop at the gas station just outside of Boonville. I stopped to nurse and 3 minutes into the feeding both boys needed to pee. So we cut the feeding short and ran into the public restroom at the Conoco. The wheelchair accessible stall was out of order so the four of us crammed into the tiny stall and the boys screamed about the lack of space while I tried to cover the seat with toilet paper. All this was done with baby in hand.
Oh, how I missed my honey.
Back in the van I struggled to take care of everyone's needs while driving. I found myself throwing multiple packages of trail mix to the back of the van, hoping that one would land near Danny's reach. By the time we got to St. Louie the floor was littered with trail mix, twizzlers, and empty capri suns (this explains all the peeing).
It was a fabulous trip regardless, and I'm proud of myself for toughing it out. The baby slept the entire trip home and the boys only required one potty stop. Of course the "I've gotta go" screaming started just past Columbia and the next stop was that awful place just outside of Boonville. However, unable to bring myself into that crummy Conoco again, we decided to brave the little hole in the wall across the street. To our surprise the place had the most immaculate and pleasant smelling bathroom with beautiful floral arrangements and seat liners on the wall. Some cowboys wife sure does seem to care about their little truck stop. God bless her.
The sun set that we followed home was breath taking.


1 comment:
Wow Emily you are quite the woman for braving that drive with 3 little boys!!! ay carumba.
It looks like you had so much fun with relatives!
Post a Comment