Thursday, March 11, 2010

Late Night Ramblings

It's good to be me. I think.

I look around me and feel really blessed. My husband rocks. He will make me laugh, giggle, and smile through the eternities I'm sure. For some reason, he still thinks I'm a babe. He knows that the best way to cheer me up is to clean something. His knowledge of the gospel is vast and runs deep. He truly enjoys life, and I get to watch him enjoy it. He doesn't steal the covers (often), he doesn't mind when I share something on his plate (much), and he's the reason our kids are so stinkin' cute.

My oldest son wants family hugs to last for hours, the middle one can charm your socks of with his eyebrows,and the baby wraps his arms around your neck and squeezes like there's no tomorrow. They are simply wonderful!

While my home is not as well decorated as I dream, I still dig our pad. The new carpet makes me happy. I spend a lot of time on the floor with my little ones, so carpet is important. If I could figure out what crawled under the floor boards in my upper level bathroom and died - I might let my guests go up there. I have Cloroxed. I have Lysoled. I have used Comet, Soft Scrub, Pine-Sol, and Windex. Still, there is something foul in there. If it wasn't the only room with a shower in the house, I would close the door and block it off with a giant X of yellow caution tape. Still our home backs up to beautiful woods adorned with a small creek and families of deer. We're surrounded by awesome friends who with half a day's notice show up for a BBQ and stay until mass quantities of marshmallows have been toasted. We're in a good place.

As for me...I dropped a bunch of weight at the end of last summer. It was awesome! Yes, it was the result of a wicked H1N1 look-alike but I kept it off for a few months. It was so nice to have arms that stopped waving when I do. Alas, the weight is all back and I hate everything in my closet. I'm trying not to be worldly in my wants. I am trying to grow our food storage instead buying things that won't matter if a tornado takes our roof off. I am trying to make better financial decisions for my family, but the truth is that I'd really love to go out and buy the jeans that really fit right, not just the ones that fit my budget. I'd like tops that minimize everything squishy and dresses that say I've got taste. But you know what...I'm ok without that.

People in Chile aren't wishing for better clothes. People in Haiti aren't praying for better window dressings. I'm grateful. I'm working on being more grateful.

I am grateful for the faith I have in a gospel that gives me eternal perspective. I'm thankful for the roof I have over my stinky bathroom and the clean water that flows beneath it. I want my kids to know that they rock!, that I love 'em to pieces and want to be a better mom than I am for them. I want my husband to find a wife that's making a heck of a home - not because it's beautifully decorated, but because it's a home full of love where the spirit can dwell.

I'm working on it and I think that's ok.

4 comments:

Aby Runyan said...

We had a mouse (at least I HOPE it was only a mouse) die somewhere in our kitchen or the walls there. We searched EVERY nook and cranny that we could with no luck. So for about 2 weeks we kept a candle lit (which helped a lot) and then the scent faded till it was gone. I guess as the body decomposed it stunk, then it got to a certain point where the stink left. Thankfully mice are small!

As for the name, no we're not sharing right now. OK, so we've shared with family and they have awfully big mouths. So who knows!

luvs, aby

Ellen said...

I love reading your blog, Emy. I can hear your voice and I feel like I'm there with you! Hope your stinky stuff evaporates soon!

aLi said...

Emily, so uplifting. You have a gift, thanks for sharing it.

tara said...

you're amazing-
the end.
Ü

Site Tracker

Who's Watching and Where Are You?

Stat Counter