The blessed text message came at 5:15 this morning. Snow Day! As I heard the ice pelting our windows the day before, and as the snow continued to pile up on the cars, I prayed for the chance to stay in jammies past 7.
Today was an especially great day for a snow day. I was volunteering at Daniel's school today and was struggling to find someone to watch my toddler with a runny nose. Daniel would have been dropped off at 8:35, Dallin's school starts at 9:15, and James has school until 10am, I needed to be at Danny's school by 10:30, and then somebody had to pick up Dallin by 11:45. It was a logistical nightmare, and I'm glad we've avoided it.
It's not that I don't love volunteering at the school. I do. In fact, today I was going to get to read to Danny and his classmates. I was going to impress them with my superb knowledge of children's literature and was anxious to bring some great works from my personal library like The Giant Jam Sandwich and Wilford Gordon MacDonald Partridge. Finally, the many hours studying the works of Dr. Suess would come to light. But alas, it was not meant to be.
Instead, I will rejoice at the opportunity to be held upon the mighty pedestal of hot chocolate makers. It is truly amazing the elevated status which is achieved when one gives children a mug of tasty hot chocolate decorated with whipped cream and sprinkles. It is a high unlike any other. It's quite the power trip. Sometimes, I find myself raising the cannister of whipped cream above my head, Heman-style, shouting "I have the power."
The most glorious thing about this particular snow day, was the fact that all 3 of my children slept until 8am. This is unheard of in my house. The sad news is that I have been awake since 5:15am and was too excited about the snow day to fall back to sleep. The sound of ice scrapers on car windows and wheels rapidly spinning on the snow may have been to blame as well.
But who cares... IT'S A SNOW DAY!


1 comment:
Ya know, I don't think I'll be as excited for them when my kids are in school. Emily, you HAVE THE POWER! The power of patience! The power of Love. (I'm not trying to quote Celine Dion!)
You rock, girl. I need to get me a can of whipped cream!
Post a Comment