I have not been blogging in quite some time, but with good reason. The end of school was extremely busy, and the second it was over we headed to St. Louis for a week of fun with the kiddos. I have so many pics to share and much to blog about. However, I must first talk about the mass exodus. Truly most of time lately has been spent soaking up every last minute that I could with my dear neighbors before they move.
Living in a community rich with medical and dental students, it is standard practice in June that when rotations are through, residencies are over, and programs are completed, these amazing neighbors move on to the their next adventure. It is always difficult saying goodbye to such wonderful people. I am usually comforted by those that remain and by the pleasant idea that I'm dotting the nation with friends. In fact by the time we finish dental school we should be able to travel all over the country and never need a hotel. We've likely got a friend to bunk with in almost every state.
This year however, was a little different. So many long time friends, the closest of friends, are saying farewell. I have learned so much from each of them. Letting them go is really difficult. There are truly pieces missing.
The first to go were Ali Shepherd her husband Josh and their little ones, Conrad, Amelia, and Ruby. I was Ali's visiting teacher 4 years ago when she just moved here. We became fast friends. I remember the quick telephone calls that ended up lasting hours. I remember the ward Christmas party where we both shared that we were expecting, and I remember celebrating Amelia's arrival by dropping off a small birthday cake. When we were blessed to move into the townhomes we became more than friends. We became neighbors, and our kids played together so well.
On the day that the Shepherd's left, I took Conrad and Amelia to the last official Park Day before the big moves. I was hoping to ease the burden on Ali a bit. The kids had a fantastic time at the park which was mildly flooded. The moment we got there, the kids scattered in different directions. I went running after the little one and slid in the mud. It was quite the spectacular dive which left me covered in mud. While I was so unpleasantly distracted with my wet bum, Conrad found a lovely place to take a mud bath himself. Some help I was! I returned Ali's kids to her dripping in mud, covered in sand, and Josh had just finished cleaning the empty bathroom. I am sure to be remembered by my friends for my constant grace and decorum.
Despite the mud, the Shepherd's loaded up there moving van and headed off to their new home which is (luckily for me) in St. Louis. It was good to know that I'd be seeing them again soon.
Still, my boys will sure be missing their friends, as will I.








1 comment:
EMILY I can't belive you! What to say? I owe you like a million bucks now for talking me up. You really shouldn't have. I am sorry you posted this forever ago and I am just now reading it!!! How sweet of you! I need to post a blog all about the many many times you saved my life! I am tearing up because you were the blessing in my life. Thank you for being my go-to for whenever I needed something. Which was a lot more often than I hoped it would be (especially this last year... I don't want to remember that one part)... Emily, you are so sweet. I didn't know you could be any more sweet but here you go and post only positivity about us.
Can I mention
Emily baby-sat at a moments notice when:
I was potty training Amelia and frantic for someone to take Conrad off my hands.
We wanted to go on a date (in like 15 minutes). How did I dare even ask anyone???
Emily baby-sat for me as early as 7 am.
Emily dropped the most delicious Taco Soup off at our house when we were at the Dr.'s office all afternoon (and I daresay you were baby-sitting for me then, too???)
(by the way I still think about the dinner you brought us when we had Amelia!)
Emily did the 12 Days of Christmas for our family!!!!!!!!
Emily MADE me some Thank-You notes so I could write thank-you's to so many people that have helped us.
I am pretty sure she did a lot of other stuff that I'm not recognizing here.
Emily was like a sister to me here. Emily, thank you so much.
Post a Comment