Sunday, November 8, 2009

Daniel's Baptism


Daniel was at his sweetest that day.


He seemed to know that I wanted to be close by him all day
and he was okay with that.


My joy was so full as I watched these two walk together that day.


I have never been so grateful for a husband who honors his priesthood.


What a wonderful day for our family!

It was a busy day at our house. We had lots of house guests in town for the baptism and birthday celebrations. Daniel was full of excitement. He really enjoyed all the attention.

Daniel still managed to be sensitive to the sacred nature of the days events.

Saturday, I took Daniel into my room and presented him with a special gift. I had a white towel embroidered with his name and baptismal date (thanks Michelle - it was beautiful). We whispered quietly to each other as I showed Daniel his gift. His eyes got so big and he gave me such a big hug. He then carefully and almost reverently placed the towel in his duffel bag. He then ran and got a picture of the temple that he placed on top of the towel and told me it was to remind him of the important step he was making that day. What a precious moment that was for me! Your sweet reverence that day was such a blessing.

Just a little later that morning, James and I took Daniel aside and gave him his first scriptures. Again, his face lit up with wonder at the gift he was just given. He was thrilled to see his name engraved on the front cover. It was wonderful to watch James instruct Daniel as to the importance of the scriptures. James made sure he knew how to use the thumb index and encouraged him to read them often. I fully expected Daniel to think that it was a lame gift, but I was wrong. He was so happy to get his very own scriptures. I was amazed at how important they were to him.

Daniel and I headed up to the stake center early to witness the baptism of Danny's friend Caden. Daniel was so excited to share this experience with his buddy and was pleased to watch Caden be baptized first. Daniel gave the closing prayer at Caden's ceremony and prayed that Caden would be a good, kind boy and would remember to choose the right.

We enjoyed a nice luncheon at the chuch between baptisms. Then, Daniel listened attentively to talks given by his uncle Marcellus and his grandma Barbara. His cousin Julie sang, "When I am Baptized." She did a great job!

When James and Danny entered the water I noticed that they both had gum in their mouths.
(Note to James: At Dallin's baptism, let's do it without gum. Ok?)

I reminded James not to perform the ordianance in Spanish.
(James served a Spanish-speaking mission and all the baptisms he performed up till now were in Spanish.)

Daniel and James got it right on the first try. James got a big, wet hug after Danny came up out of the water. As Danny stepped up out of the font, I was there to wrap his new towel around him. I asked him how he felt, expecting to hear "the same" or "fine." But instead, Daniel said, "Mom, I just feel so good inside!" After that, it was hard to say who stood in the bigger puddle - Danny or me.

Daniel has always been full of faith and has enjoyed a closeness with the Spirit that I hope to acquire for myself someday.

That evening, we finished reading the Book of Mormon for the second time as a family - a goal that we set back in January. After such an exciting day full of fun and trick or treating, Daniel worked so hard to keep his eyes open long enough to hear those last few verses.

After tucking Daniel into bed that night, we talked a bit about the day's events. Daniel told me that he felt like the Savior was standing right there beside him as he got baptized. He said that he wondered if maybe He was really there.

Daniel, I am sure He was. He loves you and is just as pleased with you and your choice to be baptized as your father and I are. You are a choice son of your Heavenly Father and we are so thankful for you and all the joy that you bring into our home. Thank you for making the day special in every way!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations to Daniel, and congrats to you! I've been struck lately at how fast "8" seems to come...

Emily said...

Look out! It's right around the corner, BOO.

tara said...

That's so wonderful! He's such a precious boy...and you're a awesome mama!

Laura F said...

Congratulations you guys, 8 years old is a big one that when you're a new parent you're not sure you'll ever really see. You made it! :-)

Site Tracker

Who's Watching and Where Are You?

Stat Counter