Monday, August 23, 2010
Back to Back to Back to School
#1 - Dallin's First Day of Kindergarten
Dallin was adorable. James & Daniel were still in CA when school started so Dallin didn't have to share this monumental occasion with his big brother. The little boy who never wants to dress himself hopped out of bed and got ready for school that morning. As I walked him into the building he reminded me that he knew where to go and that he didn't need any help. I told him that I wouldn't be ready to let go of his hand until we got to his classroom. He replied, "You know what Mom? I like you." The classroom was full of kids hanging up backpacks and getting out crayons. The teacher was taking everyone's picture as they came in. Dallin sat down at his desk and went right to work. There was no one making me leave, but I knew I had to go. I sobbed all the way back home. I was busy coordinating a huge luncheon that day. A steady line of people donating salads and rolls kept me busy so I didn't have to think about the bundle of joy missing from my home that day.
Dallin's teacher, Mrs. Hawkins, is wonderfully OCD like me. She's a total perfectionist and likes things done just right. The perfect manner in which she lays out her bulletin boards and labels everything in the room is likely appreciated only by fellow OCD sufferers such as myself. This brought me comfort, as Dallin should feel right at home with her.
As the clock finally approached 3:30 I got my little Dallin back. I asked him about his day, and he told me with great excitement about how the gingerbread man is real, and how he escaped from the book and left cookies on their desk. He told me that he really likes his art teacher (she's a babe). Then I asked what his favorite part of the day was. He said, "The end." I said, "Oh yeah, what happened at the end of the day." He replied, "I got to see you." Could this little munchkin be any more cute?
Dallin, you make me melt. You are the biggest bundle of love and you light up our home (when you're not screaming). I miss you every second that you're gone and can't believe how difficult it is to share you with the world.
#2 - Daniel's First Day of 3rd Grade.
Daniel missed the first 2 days of school thanks to the California trip (totally worth it - by the way). He got back after 11 pm on Wednesday night. He feel asleep on the plane, in the terminal, in the van on the way home, and on the living room couch before he finally made it up to bed. The poor kid was zonked. He needed some help waking up the next morning, but eventually, he was excited for school. We rushed out the door a little behind schedule because it took us so long to get Danny up. Daniel insisted that I NOT walk him to class. He allowed me to show him a map of where to go and that was it. The two little ones walked away from my van, hand in hand with their little red backpacks. My heart was broken again.
With all the rush we forgot to get the traditional picture in front of the house. So we took this one after school. While I'm sure to appreciate all that I'm able to get done at home while their away, I don't think I'll ever get use to the sadness I feel when I watch them leave my van.
#3 - James' First Day of 2nd Year
James left at 7am this morning to embark on his 2nd year of dental school. Last year was rough, but I'm told this year is rougher. Today is a testament to that. Darren started crying uncontrollably when James left. The kid was hysterical. The only thing that calms him down when he gets that upset is to go outside. So, out we went - in our jammies. It was 7am. My neighbors shouldn't be out that early. But sure enough, my neighbor had a visit from a mutual friend who stopped by just in time to catch me in my PJs. Glorious. Darren eventually calmed down and we rushed inside to get ready for school.
Dallin proceeded to throw no less that 5 tantrums over the following: not enough milk in his cereal, his shirt had 2 buttons, his shoes weren't tight enough, his socks felt funny, and the hairspray hurt his hair. These were jumping up and down, kicking, screaming, the neighbors must think I beat my children, tantrums. Regardless, we made it out the door to the van which was missing Dallin's booster seat. We had taken the seats out of the van yesterday to help a friend and James put the booster seat in the Corolla. I concluded that the seat we needed was now with James at the dental school. Insert tantrum #6. I strapped Dallin into the back seat with the lap & shoulder belt and prayed for protection as I drove to the school. Dallin calmed down and eventually told me he loved me before he ran to class. I returned home to find a booster seat on the bench in the entryway. How I missed it, I have no idea.
Later this morning, Darren was playing quietly by himself so I decided to make some phone calls. After being transferred a million times, I finally got a hold of someone who was willing to donate to my primary activity this weekend. As the woman asked for more information, Darren came into the office and crawled up on my lap. He reached for the scissors and as I pulled them away from him, he closed them onto to the tip of my index finger. Suddenly, I had two deep cuts on each side of my finger, blood all over my desk, a screaming 2 year-old (because I took the scissors away), and a lady on the phone who'd like to know more about the emergency preparedness fair. Wow!
So, I think it's fair to say we started off 2nd year with a bang and we have no where to go but up.
This afternoon, the schedule is light. I just need to pick up the donations from the hotel and buy some hair color to get rid of all the gray. Can't wait 'till you get home sweetie! I just may need some ME time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 comments:
you are amazing. the end. (i think i've posted that before...like a million times-hey it's still true)
your post made me laugh and cry. oh what a blessed mommy you are, even if your finger is bleeding....hahahaha
Post a Comment