Oh how I've missed my blog. There just hasn't been time or energy this summer for blogging. We've got one more week before school starts and I've been trying to pack in as much family fun and together memories as possible.
I want to make sure that when my kids are asked, "What do you like to do?" they'll have awesome responses like, "jump off the diving board, go on nature walks, go to museums, summer reading club, ride the train, paint, play with sidewalk chalk, blow bubbles, grow tomatoes, plant flowers, be with my FAMILY!!!"
It is my fear that they will answer, "Play video games, watch Dinosaur Train, eat donuts." Don't get me wrong, I think a healthy game of Dr. Mario now and then helps us to learn colors and make associations. Dinosaur Train makes my kids sound like geniuses. Just the other day when I said, "Look at that dinosaur!", Dallin corrected me by saying, "Mom. That's a diplodocus! He's a herbivore - they eat plants!" And sadly, I am the first to answer the cravings of the QT donut hole. What can I say they call to me. But these are not the things I want to be known for.
While we can't afford adventurous vacations right now for our kids, at least we can find all the free things that there are to do and pack 'em in. I have so much to blog about and so many pictures to post. But that will have to wait until next week when my baby is napping and I'm sobbing at the sound of emptiness in my house.
Dallin is going off to kindergarten and I couldn't be less enthused. I am so not ready to let go of my middle child. I'm not ready to let the world taint him or change him, or convince him that he needs to wear shirts with Sponge Bob on them. I'm not ready to share him with someone who doesn't love him like I do. Mostly, I'm just not ready to be without his constant affection. Roughly 20 times a day Dallin says, "Mom, guess what. I like you." Dallin came to us with an ability to reach octaves that are untouchable by the most highly trained sopranos. His screams, happy or sad, could shatter glass as well as your ear drum. But, this little guy offers more hugs, more kindness, and more Eskimo kisses in an hour than there are hours in a day. He loves to snuggle. He loves to smooch, and he's just so darn cute. Have you seen what this kid can do with his eyebrows? He is the definition of charming. How can I do without that bundle of joy for 8 hours a day? We may just have to home school after all.
To make matter worse, I am being robbed of the last few days we have left together as a family before school starts. James is taking Danny to California to visit uncle Blake, before Blake ships out to fulfill his new orders in London. They'll tour the aircraft carrier where James' brother works, they'll spend a day at Legoland and another day at Disneyland. They'll drive up to L.A. to visit James' dad and step-mom. They'll even get to spend a night with my family in SanDiego and see the SanDiego Temple. It is sure to be 5 days of non-stop fun (not to mention In-N-Out Burger). I will be back home in Kansas City missing them the entire time, and trying to cram in more memorable moments with little Dal and Darren. They grow up too fast.
Lastly, I'd love to share with you the stress of knowing that James starts year 2 of dental school in 8 days but I'm still in denial about all that. Feel free to offer advice on how to survive the road ahead. Now I'm off to make PB&J in the shape of dinosaurs because - Yeah, I'm that mom.


2 comments:
I just love you Emily. I share many of the same feelings you have this time of year..... I keep worrying that we haven't done enough family together stuff before school and piano season comes in and robs me of my family.
What a sweet post.
I used to cry after i'd drop off the kids on the first day of school.
It seems like it takes forever for the first child to reach those milestones (school, baptism, etc) but once they do, the other kids just do them so quickly.
Post a Comment