The emergency preparedness fair went really well. I was stopped in the hall today by many who were stunned at all that we were able to accomplish. The only thing we hadn't predicted was how heavy those backpacks would get. The 3 and 4-year-olds will have a rough time lugging all those supplies around. We weren't counting on our city to give us such Heavy Duty flashlights.
I'll post more information and pictures as soon as I get them.
Tonight I can't sleep.
My thoughts are with a mom who cried on my shoulder today because her burdens were too great.
My friend has 2 children with MD who require wheelchairs. Last weekend their wheelchair accessible van died. It may be beyond repair. It may be that repairs are too expensive. Whatever the situation, they are without their mode of transportation.
Last Sunday, we were able to help the younger of the 2 children get to church. He has a smaller chair and was able to fit in our minivan with the use of his portable ramp. There was nothing we could do for his brother. His chair was too big. The big brother is not a complainer. He internalized the matter, surely feeling left out.
Today was a repeat. We managed to get the family to church today in part, but one was left out. Another family with a larger van tried to help today as well but to no avail.
This mom was further saddened by her inability to provide the usual carpool for others. This woman, who normally seems unstoppable, the kind of woman who could take on anything, met the last straw. She's a giver, a doer, and a brilliantly Christlike example of service to those around her. Their family is radiant, strong, and caring because of her good example. I don't know that I've ever seen her without a smile on her face. Today was different.
I am frustrated that I don't have the means to make things better for someone who has done so much for so many. James and I were up late discussing what we would do if we could. We'd like to find a way to help this family but we're unsure how to proceed. How could we raise enough? Are there grants available for this sort of thing? Is there someone out there that could make this miracle happen for them? There couldn't be a more deserving family.
I'd love your advice, friends.


1 comment:
http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org/how_we_help_you/equipment_grants
Try this place. It looks like they do grants for equipment for people with muscular dystrophy. I'm sure there are more out there.
Post a Comment