Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Time to Vent - CAUTION: whining ahead


It is officially one month into 2nd year and I officially do not like it.  I am remarkably cranky today and since I don't have a husband to talk to anymore, you get to hear all about it.

For the record, my husband is amazing.  He accomplishes so much on so little sleep, he tries hard to please his loony wife, and he is flippin' awesome at everything that he sets his mind to.  James has always been obscenely optimistic, lighthearted, and jolly.  He is a constant source of laughter and silliness in our home.  He doesn't usually let things bother him, he forgives so quickly, and apologizes even more quickly.

Dental school has brought us a new version of James.  The dude is a stress monkey.  He is frustrated with his teachers (who don't know how to speak properly), he is less confident than usual (thanks to impossible tests), and his eyebrows are furrowed a great deal of the time.


Now it would take much less stress to make me permanently cranky.  Lately, my patience seems to be lost before breakfast.  Darren is officially 2 years-old.  Darren's version of 2 is a kid who wants to be held all the time, wants to be outside anytime he is not being held, and can undo any form of cleanliness faster than I can spell cheese.  This makes for a very messy Burneson house.

A friend gave James & I some advice at our wedding.  She said, "There is less tension is a clean house."  How very true that is!  Let's just say things here are tense.

I find myself rather emotional lately.  I am struggling with my own feelings of inadequacy.  I wish I was a better homemaker, a better mom, a better teacher, a better Primary President, a better athlete (I use that term loosely - meaning I just wish I could rock it at the gym like the rest of you girls), a better dietitian, a better decorator, and a better dresser (meaning fashion not furniture).   While I wholly embrace all that is mommyhood, I would really like to look physically less like a mom.  I don't mind the diaper bag, the zoo train of kids at the supermarket, or the fat minivan that I drive.  I do mind the love handles, the stringy hair, and the lack of nice clothes and good accessories.

I realize how worldly I sound right now.  But I'm working on balance.  How do you find balance between taking care of yourself, presenting a respectable version of yourself, and the vanity that makes you think you need better earrings, new shoes, and new lip gloss?

The masses in Kansas City are reproducing.  4 women on my block alone are expecting.  It is making me crazy jealous!  I wanted more than 3 kids.  I still do.  But thanks to the life sucking disease known as hyperemesis - pregnancy is no longer an option for us.  I am left feeling frustrated at news that should bring joy.  I adore all my pregnant friends and hope they don't mind my comments here.  I envy you girls.

So as you can see, I am a bit of puddle right now and we're only 1 month in to the most challenging year of our lives thus far.  My super hero husband has been transformed (not unlike Spiderman in his new dark suit).  I am a bit overwhelmed, and little things seem gigantic.


For now I'm going to be okay with not moving forward.  Instead, I will pray that I can do as Elder Holland suggests, which is to plant my feet and just stand against this storm.  Sometimes enduring takes an awful lot of work. 

Just 227 days until the end of second year.  Can she make it?  Perhaps with the comfort only a carton of Bryers and a very large spoon can bring.

P.S. For the record I DO think that my hero in his dark suit is still very attractive!  Love ya babe!

10 comments:

Holly said...

What do mean better dresser and decorator? I went shopping for fabric the whole time and all I could think was, "What would Emily think of this one?"
You are my style guru and I love you!

Laci said...

Seriously.. I was just going to say what Holly said!! i ALWAYS have thought that you are SO cute and stylish. I still remember the post you did on your new curtains and wall hangings LOL SO CUTE. But I totally know how you feel. When Daniel was traveling and INSANE amount of time, its easy to get lonely, even with friends by your side. Well, if anyone can get through this year its YOU! Seriously, I've always had mad respect for you babe. For real.

Lechelle said...

I hear you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellen said...

You are amazingly awesome with mad skills! Please remember this on the days that just suck!!

Erin said...

Hey Emily - I've been mulling over your post for awhile now, trying to figure out how to comment. I've searched deep down for wisdom to know how to let you know that you're not alone, and to help you get through. I haven't found it, but feel guilty ignoring your message. :) I know how crappy it is to have your husband gone. And have him stressed and beyond tired when he IS home. And to have a lot on your plate. Enough that would be overwhelming in good circumstances. And to have three kids who need two parents, but mostly only have one. And to not have the money to do the things that would help: new clothes, a sitter, or hot fudge for the Breyers. So here's what else I know: you'll make it. When it's really dark and crappy - it will always get better. You have the capacity to succeed at it. Take it week by week. You can do it! (and so can James!) Hang in there!!

Emily said...

Thanks Erin! It means a lot!

James said...

Is it ok to post on a blog when you've been cited in the blog itself?

Either way my wife is amazing. I think she just needs a good Day Planner. (just kidding Emily...that's a long standing inside joke between Emily and I).

You blow me away with what you are able to get done in a day. It's funny cause you explain all the stuff you do, and ask me what I did today and it's something like: I studied, set 8 teeth in a denture base, and took a test. I feel like such a "pile" compared to you.

You're great.

Kelli said...

Oh how i remember!

This will be unwanted advice from a middle-aged friend:

"THIS TOO SHALL PASS"

Really, it will. Someday you will look back at your life and see how this time has made you better, even though it is hard now. It will help you endure the trials that will come in the future...some that may not have a graduation date to look forward to.
And your 2 year old will be 26 and you will wonder where the time went.
Go buy some new lip gloss and be glad that the wrinkles and menopause have not made an appearance yet. haha

I love you, and i think you rock!

Emily said...

Kelli, I truly adore you!

Aby Runyan said...

I have two husbands myself, Jeff & Jeffy.

My Jeffy is my love.

Jeff makes me nutso.

When Jeffy is around, oh how wonderful the world seems and IS.

When Jeff is all to be found. . .I wait around for my real husband to return.

So I knows how ya feels.

luvs, aby

Site Tracker

Who's Watching and Where Are You?

Stat Counter