What an emotional week! It started with a PTA meeting in which I made a suggestion to improve the safety procedures involving "car riders" at my son's elementary school. I appreciate the safety measures that have been in place thus far. However, I though we could make it even safer.
Suddenly, I found myself in a room full of moms that were threatened by anything that might add time to their commute. The principal gave me the patronizing response of "Oh sure, we can always look into it." She then reminded me how important it was to move the traffic through quickly. Someone tell me why 60 seconds more in a parking lot isn't worth it to guarantee the safety of our kids. No, it may not be what is easiest, but it just may be what's right.
The principal overheard a conversation I was having with the assistant principal after the PTA meeting was over. The assistant principal lived along the same bus route as us and assumed that our kids new each other. Both principals were stunned to learn that Daniel doesn't ever ride the bus. They seemed to take offense at this. I can fully appreciate the wonderful convenience that it is to have bus service. I am truly grateful for it. It certainly provides access to school to many who would otherwise not have it. It's just not right for my family. I worry about the influence that older children can have during a bus ride. I worry about the language that is used on buses, and I worry about their safety as a whole. I remember things that I first saw and heard on the school bus and that was 20 years ago! I acknowledge that I am also a bit bias as a result of a bus accident that sent me to the E.R. and put my arm in a sling. The driver had been up all night drinking. His wife left him and he spent the night drowning his sorrows in alcohol.
Things don't seem to be much different here in Kansas City. At least once a month we see something terrible on the news related to school buses. Just recently there was an incident with fighting on a school bus. I also saw the news story about the child that was slapped by the bus driver, and it seems, every now and then, some little one falls asleep and is left on the bus. I understand these are exceptions and certainly not the norm. It still just scares me too much.
Whenever I begin to question my feelings on such issues, the world finds a way to remind me why I feel the way I do.
On Wednesday of this week my mother, a 6th grade science teacher, informed me of a problem that is now affecting elementary school students in St. Louis. Apparently, 5th grade students are performing an unspeakable act on other 5th grade students on the buses. The thought of having my little one on a bus with 5th graders who do such a thing sickens me. No way!
Lastly, I received an email from my little sis. in CA who needs help fighting legislation that would require that all students of CA public schools (even kindergarteners) celebrate homosexuality and learn about same sex marriages and lifestyles. What is wrong with this picture! A five year old shouldn't have to know what sex is much less, celebrate ways to distort it.
I'm afraid of the world in which I have to raise my children. How has it become such an awful place? And how do we fight it?
The rapid decline is sure to accelerate. So, I will work like mad to protect my kids from the craziness that is out there. I will pray for their safety from harm and evil, I will teach them and give them the knowledge they need to hold to the rod, and I will certainly keep them off buses despite the remarks of other moms who think I'm foolish.
I don't expect others to share my views or actions. It is important for everyone to know what works for you. I just do what feels right for my family.
Today, I'm just tired of the bad news. I'm worried about how much worse it will get, and I'm wishing it would just stop!


4 comments:
Emily, you are a remarkable mother. Crappy people who give you dirty looks for making good choices for you family. In South Carolina, the kids were either bused or were driven. No walking. Which is unfortunate, because the kids and I LOVE our daily walks to school (we are now in UT). Buses sound terrible. I have no personal experiences. The idea of the extra time away from me, while riding a bus to an from school, has always been unappealing.
Emily - I can't even believe what I just read! I also had a interesting experience this week at a PTO meeting when I suggested that we look into other alternatives to the FUNDRAISING MADNESS! We have already done two fundraisers and were just sent home another. Next week we will have a Culvers night, followed by some pizza thing...the list goes on and on and I am already sick of it. Anyway, you should have seen the looks I got when I mixed things up and suggested something different than the status quo - LOOK OUT! I just had to laugh when I read your info. BTW, here in St. Louis, we have to go inside to the gym and sign our kids out (Brynn also doesn't ride the bus for the same reasons you gave). It's a big hassle, but I wasn't about to bring up another thing that I thought should change here. All right, gotta run, but keep up the great posts!
I remember awful experiences on the bus when I was a girl, too. I think you have a good thing going~ with keeping Danny off the bus.
I praise you for Standing Tall.
I say Amen to this post. I'm always doing things a little differently for my kids - but they're still tiny, so I've had minimal disapproving looks. I think as a careful, good mother, you know what's best for your family, and that should be respected by anyone. Especially since the things you are doing differently are conscientious and loving things, not dangerous or weird things. You're doing great, Emily. Keep it up!
Anyway - hi! It's fun catching up a little on your blog.
-Jessie (Annie's sis)
Post a Comment