I remember a day, early in my life as a mother, that James politely suggested that I get a planner - a nice one, maybe something from Franklin Covey. He seemed to think that the stress I was feeling was directly related to my lack of planning. If only I could be a bit more organized, life would not be quite so hectic.
Husbands, save yourself the trouble. Do not utter such silly thoughts, even if you think they are valid.
Here is the truth...
1 - Babies soil newly changed diapers.
2 - The above-mentioned diapers are usually filled just as you're leaving the house. (If you are lucky, the diaper locks-in the mess and all you need is a new diaper.)
3 - Freshly bathed babies will most certainly smear yogurt or oatmeal in their hair.
4 - The one child old enough to drink from a cup without a lid will assuredly spill the contents of said cup onto the freshly ironed tablecloth.
5 - The left shoe which always rests by its equal near the door, will have gone missing 10 minutes before you have to be at your appointment.
6 - Someone in the house will let out an ear-piercing "happy" scream, just as you place the sleeping baby in his crib.
7 - The kids will be sure to get a 2-minute power nap in the car on the way home from Church, negating any hopes of rest for the adults.
8 - No one can predict the day that a tantrum will ensue because a little one's pant leg touches his foot.
9 - Nor could we elegantly prioritize on which day we should plan a screaming fit over how much milk belongs in a cereal bowl.
10 - Lastly, there was no way to know in advance how much I would adore the little munchkins that make my life so beautifully unpredictable.
I love them, even when it's difficult. I hope they continue to love me when I spill things and put yogurt in my hair.


4 comments:
I am impressed that you iron your tablecloth.
Ali, I thought someone might notice that. For the record, I do not regularly iron my tablecloth. I only iron it when it has become a wrinkled mess from sitting in the laundry basket for 3 days. But inevitably when I do...something is sure to be spilled on it. :O)
i think i have an iron, but i'm pretty sure i don't have one of those flip up tables you use them on... my mantra... if it's all wrinkly, it looks like you meant it to be that way!! just crumble it up some more and voila!
This is one of those posts I want to just copy and paste right into my blog. Or onto Google news somehow. More people need to read this than ever will. Love it!
Post a Comment