Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Surviving Alien Abductions.

We have officially survived 3.6 weeks of Dental School!

My stress level has gone way down since I no longer manage property. How wonderful it is to play with my kids, to read entire shelves of children's books in a day, and to have really good excuses for ignoring the laundry. My favorite excuse being, playing outside in a place other than the ghetto.

The baby is taking longer naps thanks to the distance between his private bedroom and the fabulous playroom in the partly finished basement.

I am so proud of ability to cope with the craziness of life lately. While we have had a few meltdowns adjusting to this new schedule, I have mostly kept my cool.

The most difficult thing to deal with has been the alien abductions.

At the start of any major change in the life of a Burneson boy, there is a period of flipping out that occurs. This reaction is characterized by dramatic outbursts, an increased lack of patience, a general mood of grouchiness, followed by a need for affection. I refer to this episode as an alien abduction because it seems that someone has abducted my love ones and replaced them with remarkably cranky look-alikes.

The first Burneson to experience the switch was Daniel. He came home from school with a chip on his shoulder, mad at the world for about 2 weeks. He loves his new school and his new teacher and he started making lots of new friends. We think the change in behavior was simply the result of not enough sleep. Once we got back to our 7:30 bedtime, things started to really improve.

Dallin just this week has been replaced with a monster unlike anything that we've seen. The tantrums have been loud, tearful, rough on the door-frames, and exhausting for both he and I. Today the fits were caused by the following 1) a shirt that wasn't orange 2) I would not let him eat a bowl of yogurt covered raisins for breakfast 3) I made him get dressed before we took Danny to school 4) we could not fly a kite in our pajamas 5) Spaghetti was red and 6) the band-aid went all the way around his finger. Oh aliens, please bring back my mush-mush!

James has been an unidentified creature of sorts as well. When we were first engaged, James' mother told me that in order to be happy - James needs to be fed and well rested. The woman was not kidding! The man needs his Z's. Well guess what? There are no naps at the UMKC School of Dentistry. A big disappointment here. I mean really, what are the scrubs for? Are they not just daytime jammies?

The good news is that my lack of day job has made it possible for me to patiently love each of these monsters until the aliens return my family.

As for tiny, he's cutting 3 new teeth. He's a little fussy but I think he's still the original.

1 comment:

Laura F said...

7:30 does the trick, huh? We've had an alien wandering around my house lately that looks a lot like Izzie, but I know better. This alien is a LOT more sensitive and weepy.

Site Tracker

Who's Watching and Where Are You?

Stat Counter